Skip to content

Unions Dishonestly Lobby for EFCA, part 2

March 30, 2009

I mentioned in my earlier post that Mr. Edwin Hill’s statistics were unsubstantiated.  A close scrutiny of just one of his claims will demonstrate my reason for skepticism.  Wrote Mr. Hill:

Nearly 60 million Americans desire a unionized workplace, yet less than 60,000 achieved unionized status in 2007.

Let’s do a little math to see how likely it is that Edwin Hill’s “facts” are facts.

According to the US Census Bureau there were approximately 302 million persons in the US in 2007.  Of that number roughly 25% of the population was under the age of 18 and 12.5% over the age of 65.  If we assume that this combined 37.5% of the overall population is not part of the workforce we are left with 189 million individuals who were potential union members.  Except…this figure includes business proprietors or partners in unincorporated businesses and the self-employed.  It’s not likely they’ll want to unionize themselves.  And in fact the Census Bureau estimates that in 2007 the US private, non-farm employment was 120 million.

Edwin Hill wants us to believe that fully one-half of America’s workers wish to be unionized but cannot achieve that goal.  Not only is this unlikely but a recent Rasmussen poll indicates that only 9% of the current non-union workers would unionize if given the opportunity.  If we accept the 9% figure, Mr. Hill assertion is off by a factor of five!  Either that or the working US population swelled to 670 million in one year.  It must be that “undocumented worker” problem everyone’s talking about.

I call on Edwin Hill him to cite his sources for us; it seems extremely unlikely that his figures are correct.  It makes one wonder if his other assertions are as dubious.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: